I happen to love the TV show The Office. It seems to be one of those shows that people either hate, or love. So if you’re a member of the former group, or you have no idea what The Office is, feel free to skip down to the bottom of this post, where I’m sharing a fantastic recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies. I promise I won’t be offended; it’s almost impossible to get upset when you have one of those cookies in your hand!
Now that it’s just us Office-lovers, I can get down to business. My favorite character of the show is Dwight Schrute. Also Michael. And Jim. And Kelly. Well, anyway, right now we’ll say it’s Dwight. I often wish he was a real person and could be my co-worker, but unfortunately he is not. Not real, I mean. Or my co-worker. If I wanted to be really nerdy, I would supply you with a list of my top-ten favorite Dwight Schrute quotes, so naturally, here it is:
1) “Before I do anything I ask myself ‘Would an idiot do that?’ And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.”
2) “When my mother was pregnant with me, they did an ultrasound and found she was having twins. When they did another ultrasound a few weeks later, they discovered that I had adsorbed the other fetus. Do I regret this? No, I believe his tissue has made me stronger. I now have the strength of a grown man and a little baby.”
3) “Dolphins get a lot of good publicity for the drowning swimmers they push back to shore, but what you don’t hear about is the many people they push farther out to sea! Dolphins aren’t smart. They just like pushing things.”
4) “Security in this office park is a joke. Last year I came to work with my spud-gun in a duffel bag. I sat at my desk all day with a rifle that shoots potatoes at 60 pounds per square inch. Can you imagine if I was deranged?”
5) “I am fast. To give you a reference point I am somewhere between a snake and a mongoose…and a panther.”
6) “Reject a woman, and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also, weak arms.”
7) “I don’t have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor’s dog.”
8) “I never smile if I can help it. Showing one’s teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.”
9) “In the wild, there is no health care. In the wild, health care is, ‘Ow, I hurt my leg. I can’t run. A lion eats me. I’m dead.’ Well, I’m not dead. I’m the lion. You’re dead.”
10) “Lonely people mixing with one another? Breeding? Creating an even lonelier generation? Ha, you’re not allowing natural selection to do its work. Pssh. You’re like the guy who invented the seat belt.”
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate cocoa powder)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
Peanut Butter Filling:
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
additional granulated sugar, for rolling
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugars, butter, and peanut butter (1/4 cup) until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and egg, beating until creamy. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, mixing until combined. Set aside.
In another medium bowl, stir together powdered sugar and 3/4 cup peanut butter until smooth.
Scoop up a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough and flatten it slightly. Place about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture in the center and wrap the dough around it, pressing to seal. Roll the cookie into a ball and roll in the additional granulated sugar. Place on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and flatten to 1/2-inch with a drinking glass. Repeat.
Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes, or until edges are set. Let cool on the baking sheets for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
(Recipe from Liv Life Too)